Baked Oatmeal with Dark Chocolate, Hazelnuts and Chia Seeds
The (in)credible science
Did you know that organic farming lowers the amount of heavy metals absorbed by cacao plants used to make chocolate? Organic cacao nibs have 95% less cadmium and 67% less lead! Organic cacao farms also provide environmental and economic sustainability for rural communities by providing 20% more profitability and 27% greater gender equality while reducing water use by 29% and greenhouse gas emissions by 22%! And don’t forget to go organic for your sugar too – transitioning to organic can increase beneficial soil insects in tropical sugarcane by 234%!
Chef Megan Mitchell’s Baked Oatmeal with Dark Chocolate, Hazelnuts and Chia Seeds will have you going back for bowl after bowl. The hearty recipe offers a blend of the traditional warm bowl of oatmeal with the moisture and softness of a cake. She uses Nature’s Path organic granola and organic brown sugar from Wholesome for mouthwatering sweetness made with environmentally friendly ingredients.
10.6 ounce bag Nature’s Path Love Crunch Organic Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Butter Granola
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
4 ounce 60% chocolate bar, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
2 large eggs
4 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/3 packed cup Wholesome organic dark brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Non dairy yogurt, for topping
Cacao nibs, for topping
Equipment: 2 8x8 bakers, large bowl, medium bowl, whisk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish.
- To a large bowl add the granola, oats, hazelnuts, chopped chocolate, chia seeds, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- To a medium bowl add the eggs, almond milk, brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk together then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until fully combined, the mixture will be very loose.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 45-55 minutes or until puffed, the top no longer looks wet and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before scooping into bowls. Top with yogurt, berries, cacao nibs or a drizzle of hazelnut butter.