Urban Remedy's Alkalizing Mineral Broth
This nourishing broth is as good as your grandma’s chicken soup sans the chicken. For ease, you can make your mineral broth in one large batch and consume it at regular intervals over the course of 4 days.
This recipe was created by our friends at Urban Remedy
- 1 celery root, peeled and quartered 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Skin of 2 white potatoes
- Skin of 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 pieces wakame seaweed, each about 4 by 1 inches (10 by 2.5 cm)
- 2 pieces kombu seaweed, each about 71/2 by 8 inches (19 by 20 cm)
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 6 fresh or dried shitake mushrooms 2-inch (5-cm) knob fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 QT Filtered water
- 4 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large, deep stockpot, combine the celery root, carrot, leek, garlic, parsley, white and sweet potato skins, both seaweeds, onions, mushrooms, ginger, and salt and add filtered water to cover. (You will need about 16 cups/4 qt/ 4 L water.)
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat and add the kale. In batches, using a ladle, transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Let cool, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Add miso and mineral salt to taste. You can also add apple cider vinegar or lemon.