Simply Organic's Turkey Chili with Pumpkin and Spicy Curry
Chili is a nutrient-packed comfort food. It's easy to make a large amount and you can freeze surplus if need be. This recipe has an earthy flavor and earns its heat from jalapeños and Simply Organic Spicy Curry Powder. This recipe was created by our friends at Simply Organic.
Note that while honey helps balance the flavors in the chili, it may easily be omitted if you prefer no added sugar.
- 3 tablespoons Simply Organic Spicy Curry Powder 2.80 oz.
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add spicy curry powder, tomato paste and garlic powder. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add turkey and cook for 5 minutes, crumbling the meat, until cooked through.
- Stir in pumpkin and honey and cook for 3 minutes, until some of the moisture has cooked out.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and chicken broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and beans and cook for 5 minutes, until kale has wilted. Remove from heat heat, stir in lime juice and salt.